Friday, April 9, 2010

This is going to be time consuming, surprise, surprise

I'll start this by saying that there is no way, or at least no way that I can find to get an email alert when I post a new blog. Very annoying. If you want me to email you when I post something new, send me an email at daveboettcher@gmail.com and I'll put you a distribution list. Now, on to the blog.

I'm exactly two weeks into now. Two weeks ago tonight I stood on the steps as the previous homeowners told me I'd have to come back in the morning since they needed another night to pack up. The short version of the story is that they packed up and got out of there at 10:30 PM.

The place looks pretty different in two weeks. If I can keep up this pace of change, I should be done with the whole project in about three months! That clearly is not going to happen.

I'm definitely delusional about this whole project and continue to think it is going to be easier, smoother, faster and cheaper than everyone who has done it before tells me it is going to be. Not sure how I'm going to pull it off.

The answer is...I'm not. I'll continue to hold out hope until though until shit really hits the fan. Then I'll admit that it is not going as smoothly as I has hoped but I'll still make the best of the situation and plug on.

It was fun to walk through with all four members of my family today and try to figure out how to restructure the layout and decide whether to make a larger living room, a formal dining room, rearrange the kitchen, make a master bath, a master suite, a master bedroom, etc. There are lots of possibilities!

I'll post some more pictures over the weekend.

I'll be in demo mode so if anyone is feeling frustrated come on over and toss a hammer through the wall. Seriously. The address is 77 Quincy in Medford.

Oh yeah, the reason this is going to take longer than expected is because...well, lots of things but I was taking some trim off tonight and to preserve a window trim it takes about 20 minutes a window. I did a quick walk through and I have about 6 hours of trim pulling left and that doesn't count all the baseboards, although those are hard to save because they go below original floors.

I'll give more details about the daily demo efforts shortly; like details about the old pictures I found behind the mantel, the pockets doors, the crisp, dead bird I found in the turret, etc. Stay tuned.
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment